Skip to main content

"Humility Time"

Yesterday I took part in a TweetChat presented by the #bealeader community.  The topic for the chat was the importance of self-awareness for a successful leader.  One of the questions posed was "How does one keep self awareness from becoming the less desirable self involved?".   I responded with a concept that I had been taught very early in my career that I have since dubbed "humility time".  I had a few responses that unfortunately, the 140 limit of Twitter made very difficult to properly respond to.


Very early in my career, I worked off the premise that knowledge was power.  At the time, I had all the knowledge, and assumed that granted me all the power.  My team very quickly delivered me a very harsh reality check in letting me know that was not going to be the case.  My manager at the time explained the importance of self-awareness.  She recommended I mentally schedule time for myself to intentionally be the guy "that does not have all the answers".  That meant not only admitting that I didn't have all the knowledge, but it also made me learn how to ask questions I did not have the answers for, and recognize those that did.

Over the next several years, I experienced very rapid success and growth in my career.  Each step of the way I reminded myself to always set aside this time "to not have all the answers" - Humility Time.  I became a very energetic and passionate leader.  I believed that I was someone that could teach others how to achieve more.  Every step of the way, I never stopped this practice.

Towards the end of yesterday's chat, the host (@gingerconsult) asked me if I felt I needed this time to stay connected to my teams.  That comment really made me think (also the primary reason I want to share this).  I have always felt that I had a very strong connection with my teams.  Because this practice had become so second nature to me over the years, I did not think that it was responsible for the bonds I had built.  The reality though, is yes, this practice is largely responsible for the connection I have with my teams.  I believe my manager back then (still a very trusted mentor) recognized my penchant for letting my passion allow me to race ahead without turning around to see if others were still following.  This practice, although much evolved, over the years has allowed me to always remember that a leader does not exist without a follower.  It made me learn, that in the Leader-Follower relationship that it is the follower that is most important.  The followers will mold their leaders with the qualities they desire.  By continuously asking questions, I nurture that relationship in a way that helps me quickly identify ways to be better, and reinforces in them their decision to follow.

I did however consider a potential pitfall to permanently adopting this practice.  Anything on a schedule, especially a repeated item, becomes a chore.  As long as you feel you are maintaining personal and professional growth, and never feel you are acting to "cross something off your list", this can be a very powerful tool.

Thank you to +Jen Olney  and your #bealeader community.  I learned a lot in your chat, and even just by writing this article!!


Comments

  1. "...my penchant for letting my passion allow me to race ahead without turning around to see if others were still following."

    Ok. I'm listening. "Impetuous" is what the Boss calls me... I need to think more on this. I missed most of yesterday's chat (sigh)...but made it for the tail end, so I just remained quiet.

    Thanks for writing this, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Chris. I'm glad you had the chance to clarify this point. I know many in the chat were asking as well. I agree, if you put something into schedule like this - it's a chore not a habit. As I said last night - the VP who did this in our prior company made it clear for everyone not to be available when he decided to "walk around" to drop in on folks - it was telegraphed that he felt that he had to schedule his leadership. From your points, clearly not the case. You understand how to reach out and connect with your team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing, Chris. I was curious because it sounded like an important practice and I am always looking to improve my practice. You have clearly stated what you have done to create a personal practice that reminds you to be one with your team, in the mix. I like this. It does certainly create connection and levels the playing field.
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, Thank you for taking the time to write this. I think we could all benefit from time when we acknowledge that we do not have all of the answers but others do... it's what makes us a team and not just one all knowing leader with people blindly following (or us blindly leading).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for reading. Jen,you are right, there is a very fine line there. For me, it is no longer so much about the schedule piece, because it is now a mindset and a habit. I believe the key reason this turned into habit vs chore for me, was the ability to accept the humility of it. If you are willing to always put your own knowledge and experiences aside for even just that moment, you can listen to your people with a level of clarity that almost becomes addicting....a habit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Power Of Social Networks-Myspace vs. Facebook

AOL started it. With very popular chat rooms and a skeletal, but functional, social network. Myspace , Facebook , Twitter , Bebo , Friendster , LinkedIN and several others have since emerged. All offering something unique to make their platform the biggest and most successful. As I learn more about blog writing/internet marketing (yes, they go hand-in-hand), it is clear that these sites drive the "personality" that the online society has taken. To be successful online, it is clear that a strong and steady participation and presence on these sites is critical. This blog generates reports that allow me to view the sources of my daily traffic. So far, Facebook, Myspace, and LinkedIn, are responsible for a LARGE portion of my visitors. I am pretty much a "nobody" writing on a topic that interests me. I realize how amazing it is that because of the internet, people from around the world are reading what I am writing!! I wonder how powerful these sites would be

Always "Sweat" the Small Stuff

As we are all searching for the next best way to cut costs, I ran across an old article about an approach Delta Airlines took in the mid-90's. They asked their employees! On an employee suggestion, they removed the lettuce leaf that was served in their food trays as garnish to an astounding $1.4 million in annual savings! http://gtalumni.org/Publications/magazine/win93/delta.html I recently worked for a company that was so incredibly operationally inefficient that I was amazed they were still in business. Three months later, they weren't! From having way too much lighting in the stock areas, to a time-wasting price change procedure, to unnecessary shipping costs($4ship fee for a $.99 item), to incredible wastes of paper (I actually counted a minimum of 45 sheets per day wasted...in one store). This store had so many little things that could have completely changed the cost of business, it is a shame they didn't listen to their employees. Employees may not have t

Is Customer Service Dead?

This is a question I keep hearing as I work on this blog. It seems that no matter where you go, that companies pride themselves on putting the customer first, but that doesn't really seem to be the truth. I have found nightmare stories from telephone customer service operators, to in store employees. But I have also read some amazing stories of how an employee went well beyond their job description to make a customer happy. When I got into retail in the early 90's, customer service was king. Empowerment for employees to that end, was almost unlimited. Recognition for the individuals going above and beyond was common. It was a time when companies realized it was their people and their people's ideas and successes that drove the company's success. Southwest Airlines exploded by taking a radical approach to customer service. At the same time they also took a radical approach in the treatment of their people, doing such things as "costume day". Work was f