Skip to main content

Apple Vs. Microsoft

So the beauty of writing a private blog, is the ability to share my own thoughts and opinions without having to include another's voice to it.

Since the release of the iPhone in 2007, the mobile market has been in a complete frenzy trying to keep pace with the trendsetting iOS platform.  In the home computer world, Mac also gained valuable ground on Windows with a user friendly operating system, integrated music platform (iTunes), and sleek designs.  Meanwhile, Windows was plugging along making improvements to a largely unchanging operating system, that is until now - Windows 8 is a huge change in the Windows world, and as many analysts see it, an equally huge gamble.

The thing about computers, is they are whatever the end-user wants them to be.  The same can be said for mobile devices.  I am not a strict "Apple" or "PC" guy.  I have used both extensively, and am equally comfortable on both systems.  In most aspects I prefer a Mac desktop, but I believe that "hype" is now included in their price package.  I own a PC, not because I believe that it is better, but because I believe I can get far more "bang for my buck".  (I guess it should be noted that I am maybe slightly above average in my computer ability)

After a slew of articles in the papers lately about Apple, and their stock dipping below the $500 mark briefly yesterday, I decided I would weigh in with my opinions.  The aforementioned "frenzy" Apple sent the tech world into, I believe will be their undoing.  When they released an unbelievably sensitive touch screen device that could browse the web, play movies and music, download apps and games, and oh by the way - make a phone call, the world was at their feet.  With worthy updates and redesigns and the intermittent release of the spin off iPads, Apple has set a pace nobody could match.  They also set a pace that would be nearly impossible for them to maintain.

Windows has been constantly criticized for their lack on innovation, and their stubborn reluctance to stray too far from their basic "start menu" format.  What Windows has quietly been able to maintain, is a very strong foothold in the professional world.  Companies worldwide use an overwhelming amount of Windows devices.  They finally stepped up their game with their release of a Windows 7 phone.  Taking notes from the success of Android and Apple integrating Social Media into their handsets, Windows 7 was almost a total abandonment of the Windows mobile platform to date (didn't even connect to Microsoft Outlook).  The new Windows 8 platform is a bold statement that Microsoft is serious about remaining a key player.  As a Windows phone user from all the way back to Windows 5 (I needed Outlook), I was very disappointed when I got the Windows 7 device.  But, it did not take me long to realize that it was a far superior phone than anything I had ever used (including iPhone).  Windows 8 seems to be meeting with the same criticism.  It is such a drastic change, coming from a company that seemed to eschew change at all costs, that many of their users were very much turned off - until they got using it.  Now I am hearing accolades of the efficiency, speed, and even the beauty (yep...Microsoft!) of Windows 8.

Apple has been very lackluster in their recent releases.  Their "big" announcements have been falling short.  iPhone 5 has been met with disappointing reviews paired with their Apple Maps nightmare.  iPads are no longer the only game in town, as Kindle and Tablets gain traction.  Apple got swept up in their own frenzy.  Microsoft did what they always do - nothing.  They sat back and proceeded with business as usual.  They are now firmly behind in the mobile market, and walking a tightrope in the Tablet/PC space.  Microsoft will gain ground and emerge as a major player, like they always do.

As I am writing this article, I keep thinking about a quote I have used before from Costco CEO James Sinegal -"I think the biggest single thing that causes difficulty in the business world is the short-term view. We become obsessed with it. But it forces bad decisions"  Apple, continuously capitalizes on big hits.  Microsoft capitalizes on long term reliability.  They have been on the same teeter-totter for decades, but Apple's unwillingness to spread their gaze to the long term will always allow Microsoft to stay.  Right now, I believe that Microsoft has the superior products, and Apple is on their downswing.  But don't count Apple out! It is only a matter of time till they set the bar once again!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always "Sweat" the Small Stuff

As we are all searching for the next best way to cut costs, I ran across an old article about an approach Delta Airlines took in the mid-90's. They asked their employees! On an employee suggestion, they removed the lettuce leaf that was served in their food trays as garnish to an astounding $1.4 million in annual savings! http://gtalumni.org/Publications/magazine/win93/delta.html I recently worked for a company that was so incredibly operationally inefficient that I was amazed they were still in business. Three months later, they weren't! From having way too much lighting in the stock areas, to a time-wasting price change procedure, to unnecessary shipping costs($4ship fee for a $.99 item), to incredible wastes of paper (I actually counted a minimum of 45 sheets per day wasted...in one store). This store had so many little things that could have completely changed the cost of business, it is a shame they didn't listen to their employees. Employees may not have t

The Power Of Social Networks-Myspace vs. Facebook

AOL started it. With very popular chat rooms and a skeletal, but functional, social network. Myspace , Facebook , Twitter , Bebo , Friendster , LinkedIN and several others have since emerged. All offering something unique to make their platform the biggest and most successful. As I learn more about blog writing/internet marketing (yes, they go hand-in-hand), it is clear that these sites drive the "personality" that the online society has taken. To be successful online, it is clear that a strong and steady participation and presence on these sites is critical. This blog generates reports that allow me to view the sources of my daily traffic. So far, Facebook, Myspace, and LinkedIn, are responsible for a LARGE portion of my visitors. I am pretty much a "nobody" writing on a topic that interests me. I realize how amazing it is that because of the internet, people from around the world are reading what I am writing!! I wonder how powerful these sites would be

Is Customer Service Dead?

This is a question I keep hearing as I work on this blog. It seems that no matter where you go, that companies pride themselves on putting the customer first, but that doesn't really seem to be the truth. I have found nightmare stories from telephone customer service operators, to in store employees. But I have also read some amazing stories of how an employee went well beyond their job description to make a customer happy. When I got into retail in the early 90's, customer service was king. Empowerment for employees to that end, was almost unlimited. Recognition for the individuals going above and beyond was common. It was a time when companies realized it was their people and their people's ideas and successes that drove the company's success. Southwest Airlines exploded by taking a radical approach to customer service. At the same time they also took a radical approach in the treatment of their people, doing such things as "costume day". Work was f